Through the National Housing Strategy, the federal government will invest $500 million over 10 years for the Federal Community Housing Initiative. This will be implemented in 2 phases.
Phase 1 will:
- provide funding over a 2-year period to support federally administered community housing projects as long-term agreements reach their end dates
- give housing providers time to prepare for modernization and transition to a new Phase II rental support program beginning April 1, 2020
The Federal Community Housing initiative will provide funding over a 2-year period starting April 1, 2018.
This funding assists federally administered community housing projects that are reaching the end of their operating agreements.
Subsidies will continue on a transitional basis in order to maintain affordability of federal units and stabilize operations of community housing providers. It will also allow time for housing providers to transition to a new Phase II rental support program beginning in April 2020.
The funding is available to those housing providers with long-term agreements that meet the following:
- have federally administered non-profit and co-operative housing projects with operating agreements or subsidies terminating between April 1, 2016 and February 28, 2020.
- is a project that is compliant with the Operating Agreement
CMHC will contact all eligible providers directly up to 6 months prior to the end of their operating agreement or subsidy with information on the program and the execution of agreements.
General inquiries about the NHS or technical support
- Phone: 1-800-668-2642 (Business hours (ET): 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.